I absolutely LOVE tofu and I always have. Is tofu the best thing for you? Probably not, but it is not as bad as some media would have you believe. In fact if has some definite health benefits. But I am more interested in a tasty meat-free meal – so if you want to read all the scientific research out there, knock yourself out. And let me know what the verdict is. In the meantime, I will enjoy my tofu a few times a week in salads, stir-frys, soups and desserts.
I especially like to bake it this way.
- 1 - 8 ounce package of extra firm tofu*
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar or plain rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Put all the ingredients into a mason jar and shake.
- Drain your tofu well. Slice the block of tofu lengthwise into 4 planks. Dry the slices as well by placing them between paper towels or tea towels. Lay each in a baking dish and pour the marinade over the slices. Put in the refrigerator for an hour or more.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Bake tofu for 20 - 25 minutes, turning the slices over half way.
- * I like Wildwood brand tofu. Trader Joe's makes a nice firm tofu.